Enemies of vision
But the men who had gone up with him said, “We are not able to go up against the people, for they are stronger than we.” And they gave the children of Israel a bad report of the land which they had spied out, saying, “The land through which we have gone as spies is a land that devours its inhabitants, and all the people whom we saw in it are men of great stature. There we saw the giants (the descendants of Anak came from the giants); and we were like grasshoppers in our own sight, and so we were in their sight.” - Numbers 13:31-33
1. Poor self-image: though God had a vision to take over 2 million Israelites that left Egypt to the Promise Land, a land of freedom, they kept seeing themselves as slaves. They sought to go back to slavery each time they had challenges. They wished they had died in Egypt as slaves because of little set-back. How could anyone wish to die as a slave because of momentary set-back? God didn't cause the death of over two-third of the Israelites that left Egypt, their poor self- image did.
2. Intimidation: rejoice with those rejoicing and be happy for those God is blessing but refuse to be intimidated by anyone's success. You may not yet have what others have but you have enough to be happy. Don't wait for God to finish what He is doing in your life before you rejoice. Even the maker of heaven and earth rejoiced at every level of the work of creation. Rejoice at your level and don't be intimidated by anyone's success.
3. Procrastination: It is the thief of time. Postponing what you should do today till tomorrow is dangerous. Don't delay what you should do today. Today is what you have; the past is in the grave; tomorrow is in the womb. You have only today not tomorrow because when you get to tomorrow, tomorrow becomes today. Quit postponing, do your best today and leave the rest for God. Do your best such that when you look back, you will be satisfied you have done all you can. (See Proverbs 24:33-34). It is often said that the richest place is the cemetery because there lay the bones of many who have died with their ideas. Don't wait for a better time before doing what you are to do, do it now.
4. Discouragement: No room for discouragement. Never despise the days of small things.
5. Laziness: Be a runner. Don't be lazy. Vision is work.
6. Walking by Sight: Believing what you see alone is an enemy of vision. Don't see before you believe because sight is deceptive. Many have been duped by those who looked gentle and innocent, not knowing they are crooks. God sees the heart so let the Holy Ghost lead you. Lot went to Sodom by sight; not knowing the devil had gone ahead of him but Abraham stayed where God placed him. On the long run, Lot lost everything. Today, the name of Lot is gone forever. In Israel, the only thing that shows Lot ever existed is the pillar of salt representing his wife while there are several monuments in honour of Abraham. The nation of Israel is the reward of his faith. 2 Corinthians 5:7
7. Failures of others: The fact that others fail does not mean you will also fail. You can decide to be an exception. Elisha had never healed a leper but Naaman was an exception. The fact that something good had not happened to others in your family does not mean it won't happen to you. Don't focus on the failure of others, focus on God. You can be an exception though others fail, don't confess failure to yourself.
8. Corruption: A corrupt man despises sound wisdom. When a man is corrupt, his judgment will be wrong.
9. Arrogance: Walk in humility and reverence before God. If you are a deep thinker, you will find out that there is no basis for arrogance. Paul, in his letter to the church in Corinth, punctured their arrogance with these words: "
For who makes you differ from another? And what do you have that you did not receive? Now if you did indeed receive it, why do you boast as if you had not received it?" - I Corinthians 4:7
10. Presumption: Never take God for granted. Don't have a conceited idea about yourself.
Prayer: I refuse to be destroyed in Jesus Name. Oh Lord, let every burned-down area of my life be rebuilt, in Jesus Name. I receive the grace to ever go forward and never backward in my walk with God in Jesus Name.
Further Reading: Genesis. 16:2-4
One-year Bible Reading Plan: Jeremiah 44:24-47:7; 2 Timothy 2:22-3:17; Psalm 94:1-23; Proverbs 26:6-8